So you think you want to self-publish? Here’s a run-down of the pros and cons of self-publishing. Please note that these are GENERALIZATIONS based on my own experiences and research as a new author. You will always be able to find exceptions to these “rules!”
- You have complete control over every aspect of your book – illustrations, design, all of it!
- Because you control how much money you invest in producing and printing your book, and because you set your own prices, you have the potential to make more profit per book.
- Depending on the choices you make, a book can be self-published in months instead of years!
- Because you’ll be selling directly to readers, you can make a more personal connection to them.
- You will likely need to invest some money into the production of your book. This could range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
- You’ll be a business owner, so you’ll need to take care of things like inventory, sales tax, etc. yourself.
- You are 100% legally liable for any lawsuits pertaining to your book.
- You’ll have to approach bookstores individually to get them to carry your book.
- You will be responsible for all marketing and promotional events and expenses.
If you’re still reading, maybe self-publishing is right for you! But your decision-making isn’t done yet! Next, you need to decide: